One thing for us to remember is no one book is a perfect fit for every student. We must know our students to know what may fit for them. Some common denominators when recommending books is finding those that are both addictive (moves at a pace that will keep the attention of the middle school reader) and appropriate (in content and readiness).
So here is my students' list (in no particular order) of their top ten book series for middle grades readers:
- Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
- The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- The Babysitter's Club (graphic novel series) by Ann M. Martin (author) and Raina Telgemeier (illustrator)
- The Blackthorn Key series by Kevin Sands
- Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell
- A Tale Dark and Grimm (Grimm Series) by Adam Gidwitz
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
- Legend series by Marie Lu
- The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
What are your middle grades students reading now? What's the book (or series) that you cannot keep on your shelves?
If you are looking for a way to give students voice and choice in their reading and sharing, check out this post: Flipping for Book Chats with Flipgrid.