One thing to remember is that as the teacher, it is our responsibility to know our students and what they are ready to tackle. Some common denominators when recommending books is finding those that are both addictive (moves at a pace that will keep the attention of the reader) and appropriate (in content and readiness). We need to try to remember that not every book is the perfect fit for every child at every point in their lives.
Below you will find their top ten recommended books (a following post will list their top ten book series).
- Ghost by Jason Reynolds
- Smile and Sisters by Raina Telgemeier
- Schooled by Gordon Korman
- Wonder by R. J. Palacio
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
- Restart by Gordon Korman
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeliene L'Engle
- Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
- Invisible Emmie by Terri Libenson
- Posted by John David Anderson
So I'm interested. Are your students reading some of these same titles? What are some of their favorites?